Your spindle has just failed, and you’re at a loss on where to send it for repair. There are so many repair facilities out there; how can you know that you’re choosing the right provider for your needs? As you read on, you’ll have a better idea of how to select your service provider.
Dedicated spindle service facilities should possess in-depth knowledge to perform high-quality, optimized rebuilds. The facility should be equipped with a wide range of capabilities and support – including precision grinding, machining, manufacturing, and engineering. Knowledge and specialized experience with all spindle types, brands, and applications are essential. Also, they must have a well-versed understanding of potential spindle defects and their root causes.
When turning over a spindle to an outside expert for rebuilding, it’s essential to watch for these best-practice procedures:
- Careful disassembly of the spindle should be performed in a dedicated area to maintain quality control. Technicians should look for signs that it lacks oil, has contamination, was misused, exhibiting signs of crash damage, or other apparent signs of failure. After the spindle disassembly, each component should be polished to remove surface rust, and any damaged high spots, then washed and dried thoroughly.
- Trained technicians should thoroughly inspect the disassembled spindle, carefully analyzing the components while checking the size, alignment, run-out, parallelism, and roundness.
- Areas for grinding operations should be climate controlled, and grinding machines should have the ability to grind to precise tolerances of .000050 – .0001.
- Spindles should be re-assembled in a dedicated cleanroom using ABEC-7 and ABEC-9 precision bearings equal to or better than the originals.
- Following re-assembly, spindles should be tested and brought to operating speed incrementally in a clean-testing area. Tests will verify speed, vibration, temperature, and critical run-outs. By monitoring all critical operating parameters, spindles ultimately can be returned to original specifications (or better).
A high-quality rebuild consists of more than just installing new bearings in the spindle. Instead, it’s a more precise process that will give the customer a spindle rebuild that will last and produce good parts. Should you have any questions about your machine tool spindle, the team at MZI Precision is just a call away (714) 379-6505.